This week a number of people have contacted me and asked my views on whether HIV is God’s judgment on homosexuality. My answer is a very firm and very definite NO. Here are 10 reason why this point of view holds no water at all:
10. God is no respecter of persons – or of sins.
9. All judgment was laid on Jesus at the cross – He is the propitiation not just for our sins but for the sins of the world (1 John 2.2) – this includes homosexuals!
8. People have been healed by HIV by God in Jesus’ name (see http://www.tgm.org/HealedFromAidsFG.html for a great testimony of this).
If HIV is God’s judgment, then God would be acting against God to heal this!
7. The word translating “penalty” in Romans 1.27 does not mean an active penalty, it literally means the anti-wages, or in modern English “payback”. If you sow the wind, you will reap the whirlwind, but that doesn’t mean God is actively involved judging you.
6. God never sent His Son into the world to judge the world, but to save it.
5. Jesus Christ died on the cross, bearing our sicknesses and carrying our diseases (Matt. 8.16-17) so that we can be healed. If Jesus took HIV on the cross then why would we expect anyone to bear it.
4. Jesus went around doing good healing all who were oppressed of the devil (Acts 10.38). If Jesus healed all then – including homosexuals, then He will heal all today – including homosexuals; therefore HIV is not God’s judgment on sin. Any sin.
3. HIV is a virus. It doesn’t actually care who it infects. New born babies have had HIV, people who received a single blood transfusion have bee infected with HIV. If God is judging using HIV, He is not being very precise – His judgment is hitting some people who it shouldn’t be hitting. Surely non-gays should just be immune – there is light in Goshen when God puts darkness on the world!
2. The one demographic that does not have HIV at all is lesbians. Did God mis-aim His judgment? Did He make the virus wrong? Is there another virus coming for lesbians?
1. God is love. Every good gift comes from Him. HIV is not good. It does not come from God.