I say what *would* I do, but actually it is what I did do. I had four children yet was never late, my eldest son was born Wednesday I was in church with my wife and him on the Sunday after. I have always valued local church. When I lived in Ipswich, the only Sunday I ever missed local church was the Sunday I was kidnapped.
In Wales, I used to work until 4am, walk home, get home 5am and still be in the 10am service. I used to get my wife to dig me in the ribs if I fell asleep!
I love church. If you love Jesus (the head), you must love the church (the body). How could you love the head of someone and not the body?
So if I was in local church today, and not a pastor, here is what I would do:
- I’d be there. I’m not stupid – I know you can’t get fed once a month and have that sustain you. I’d be in every service, every event, every conference my local church organized. You would never wonder if I would be there, I would be there. And ten minutes before any meeting started. If I was on time, I would be late. I would know I couldn’t come to church once a month or every other week and get the fellowship I need to keep warm to God.
- I would realize that my number one role in the church would be that of a healthy Christian. I would be planted in the church, I would not get offended at anything anyone said or did – you wouldn’t catch me being so thin skinned that singing the wrong song made me leave! A student at university doesn’t study geography on day one, then physics, then medicine, then law. They get in a programme and stick. I would stick at my church. I would know how important it was to be planted to be stable because I have read Psalm 92.12-13.
- I would support my church financially. I would tithe without even thinking. I would see my giving as vital in spreading the good news and keeping the church that I benefit from so much going. I would allow Jesus to be the Lord of my finances by giving into the local church. I would give offerings at every service, and tithe every month.
- I would make all my talents and gifts available to the local church. I am very good with computers, I’d happily work on the church website. I’d be available to help where needed. I’d be an usher on a regular basis, and probably teach the children and youth too. I’d do anything the leadership asked to be honest.
- I would love my pastor (check out 1 Thess. 5.12-13) – I would know him and love him. I would also pray for him on a daily basis (1 Thess. 5.25). Seeing me walk into the room would make him happy!
I’ve been in several churches, and I have tried my hardest to be this person. It’s how I would still do it today.
One thought on “What I Would Do If I was in a Local Church (and not the pastor)”