Whatever you are doing if you can cover more ground you can achieve more. If you are selling liquorice all-sorts, if you can open a second shop you will sell more! If you can open shops all over the country, you will achieve a lot more. If you can plant churches with your culture and your ethos across the nation you will achieve more. It’s kind of simple, but a lot of people don’t realize this.
But here is the truth: you cannot plant more churches, open more liquorice shops if you don’t know how to recognize, develop, nurture and promote loyalty and build a culture of loyalty.
In the last post, we started by saying that loyalty starts at the top. That’s so important. You have to model loyalty to get a culture of loyalty. So if you are a leader or aspirant leader, you have to be loyal to certain and specific people. This is the number one thing you can do to build a culture of loyalty – be loyal.
- You create a culture of loyalty by being loyal to the people who follow you. Reward your followers for their faithfulness, if they are in trouble take their side. Trust me – people are watching. If you betray them in their time of trouble, they will betray you. But if you don’t betray them, they will not betray you.
- You create a culture of loyalty by being loyal to your superiors. David never killed Saul. He was loyal to Saul. When people see that it changes how they treat you as their spiritual father. Many years later, David did something very evil – he murdered Uriah. Yet very few of his people were disloyal to him: they had learned the power of loyalty from David years before.
- You create a culture of loyalty by being loyal to your friends. You should have good friends who are peers – pastors if you are a pastor. You should model good friendships with those people and show that friendship to people.
- You need to be loyal to your spouse. Marriage is hard work, let’s face it – everyone finds it hard work, even if it is worth it. If you have a good marriage people automatically see you as a great leader. If you use the self-control in your spirit and are loyal to your wife, you will be admired as a leader.
- You need to be loyal to your own vision. It’s amazing how many people expect others to be loyal to their vision but they won’t be loyal themselves! If your vision is church planting, plant churches. If it is soul winning, win souls. Whatever it is – keep to it! Your life will be better if you are faithful to the heavenly calling.
- Finally, you have to be loyal to God. No matter who you are, God is smarter than you – listen to Him and do what He says!