Your local church is the most important gift God has given you outside of the Son and the Holy Spirit. It is the body of Jesus Christ on earth and God is building the church right now and fitting you into it. You can either work with this process or work against it, but until you find the right place in your local church, you will never flow in your destiny.
Obviously, the basics are go to church and be there: get involved in a small group and make some friends and serve. My friend Duane Sheriff says Christians will never grow unless they do three things: 1. attend local church consistently, 2. join a small group, 3. serve in the church. I believe that very much so.
But let’s step beyond that. Here are 5 ways you can find your place and walk in step with your local church:
- Grasp the Vision of the House
- For example, our vision is for a church “Full of the Word, Full of the Spirit, Full of the Nations, Filled With Love”. If you don’t like 50 minute sermons, filling you up with God’s Word and priming you for victory and life, you probably won’t fit in at Tree of Life. If you hate the gifts of the Spirit, you won’t like us. If you want to be in a church that is just your nationality, you won’t fit in here. And if you are not prepared to be part of a small group and get to know some people – you will miss out.
- People often want to change our church – preach less, stop the gifts of the Spirit, I want the church to be more black, less black; can we have a mid-week service and a weekly prayer night. No – we are keeping to the heavenly vision.
- If you want to fit into your church, learn to flow with their vision.
- Grasp the Culture of the House
- Our culture is the Word – what is the Scripture. We reject things you cannot find in the Bible no matter which big name speaker is on God TV saying it. Many people can’t deal with that, they are media driven not Spirit led. That’s not healthy.
- What is the culture of your church? We have a culture of life long learning, a culture of a balance between inspiration and challenge. Culture matters.
- Follow the Standards of the House
- We expect our people to be faithful – to their spouses, to each other, to the church. We expect honesty and integrity from our leaders. That won’t change.
- Find out the teachings of the House
- We teach the complete work of Christ. That’s central to us. We teach spirit, soul and body. If you don’t accept these teachings, it won’t work. You need to learn what your church is teaching and grasp it.
- Follow the emphasis of the House
- Right now we are emphasising great overflow. We always emphasise health and prosperity. We always emphasise the Word of God.
- Don’t march to your own band, march with the house – it will be better for you!
It’s so important you catch what is going on in your local church. It’s how you will develop.