As Christians, our mandate and commission is to extend the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ. To do that requires character, humility, grace and peace.
Unfortunately, you see many people are just after their own glory, their own reward, their own empire. They don’t want to help and love other people, and they don’t really want to grow in Christ, they want political position and increase. People like that will stab you in the back the first chance they get. They will want to use you and take what you have built, but will never want to contribute to the building. They are loyal in one situation because it suits them, but when it doesn’t suit them they will act as if you never existed.
Empire builders can and will split churches, bring confusion, bring division between brothers, and cause chaos in your life. Firstly, we have to commit to being kingdom builders no matter what anyone else does. Our priority is to honouring and glorifying and extending His name and His glory. It’s all about Jesus and His love and His work on the cross. Empire builders are obvious because they cannot cross boundaries to extend the kingdom. It has to happen in their empire or in their mind it doesn’t exist.
- I am going to bring some of my people this week to hear Jerry Savelle preach in another church. I don’t care it’s not my church, it’s the kingdom! It’s going to be a great message and a great time!
- Yet there are people within walking distance of Tree of Life who love the grace message who wouldn’t even come to hear Duane Sheriff preach at our church, because they care more about the empire than the kingdom! It’s tragic but true! They only go and hear their favourite speakers when they speak in places they like.
- We support many other events by other ministries. We advertise them, we plug them, we fund people to go to them. We give big when we go there.
- Always beware of people who only support their own events, their own ministry, their own people. They can only see as far as their own empire, and if you cease to be useful to their empire, you will be invisible.
- Money is a big determination as to whether someone cares about the kingdom or their empire. Where does the money go. 10% of all money raised in Tree of Life goes out of Tree of Life to help support other ministries.
- Empire builders cannot give. They tithe to themselves, they give to themselves, they are involved in themselves.
- Kingdom builders are gracious. They allow for differences in style, in theology, in ways of doing things.
- Empire builders have it their way or the highway. That is dangerous. That sort of arrogance is closed to learning, and that is not healthy for anyone.
Paul said in Philippians 2, that only Timothy was out for the kingdom, describing the other ministers around he said “All the others care only for themselves and not for what matters to Jesus Christ.” None of the other ministers would go and help the Philippians when Paul was in need because Paul started that church and it wouldn’t directly help their ministry. Don’t be like that, don’t become those people. Be willing to help the whole body of Christ, to support the whole body of Christ, to love the whole body of Christ.
We need to have this mentality. Today, I mentioned to another pastor I was tired and he said “why not come and stay with a friend of mine in a beach house for a while and rest? I have people who can help with the church and take a month off on us”. That brought me to tears, that is a kingdom mentality. That is the kind of person you can run with.
Be a kingdom person today. It’s the best way to live!